Saturday, June 29, 2013

What Dissolves? Science Experiment


Hi everyone! This is Sue Cahalane from Science for Kids Blog, I'm here on the 29th of every month.

Here is a fun, easy science experiment that I use to introduce my little ones to the concepts of predicting and experimenting:

 I set up 10 different solids on a table in my classroom- sand, salt, sugar, baking soda, spices such as oregano or pepper, drink mix (Kool Aid, chocolate milk, etc.), flour, coffee and baby powder. 
 



 I then let the children carry out the experiments themselves. Everyone works with a partner and my kids take turns deciding which solid to test. They add a scoop of the solid to water, stir and record results. It is a very independent experiment- I have a classroom of scientists predicting and experimenting at their own pace. They do not have to follow any order of testing the solids- they choose what they would like to experiment with. 





The children are not reading about science out of a text book nor are they watching me demonstrate 10 science experiments. They are doing the science experiments themselves & they LOVE being scientists! It is great to watch the children learn, explore and discover on their own.
For other science activities and freebies, please check out my Teachers Pay Teachers store, Facebook page, Pinterest page & my Science for Kids Blog!

 Happy Summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you! Please feel free to leave a comment below....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...